Reports To: Community Manager
The purpose of this job description is to communicate the responsibilities and duties associated with the position of SERVICE MANAGER. While the following information should be considered a comprehensive description of this position, it should also be noted that some responsibilities and duties may not be specifically addressed.
Every person is expected to perform any reasonable task or request that is consistent with fulfilling company objectives.
It is imperative that you review these duties, skills and physical requirements closely and that you understand that by signing the Job Description Acknowledgement, you are verifying that you can perform all the duties, have the skills and possess the physical abilities that are necessary to perform the job as described.
The SERVICE MANAGER is responsible for maintaining the physical integrity of the community at all times. This involves ensuring a safe and secure living environment for residents, visitors and staff. It is the SERVICE MANAGER’S duty to anticipate, identify and correct any and all problems involving the property and to implement procedures that will prevent such problems. An effective program of maintenance is essential in order to:
- Maintain a safe environment.
- Cultivate resident satisfaction.
- Protect the investment of the apartment property owner.
Non-exempt (eligible for overtime)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Conducts all business in accordance with company policies and procedures, state and federal laws; e.g., OSHA, ADA, Fair Housing, etc.
- Performs maintenance tasks personally or delegates to assistants. Oversees and occasionally inspects work performed by assistants.
- Institutes and manages system for handling resident service requests. Corrects situations within 24 hours when possible.
- Schedules maintenance personnel in conjunction with manager so that maintenance is available for emergency purposes, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Conducts regularly scheduled safety meetings with entire staff; maintains and communicates HAZCOM standards. Keeps MSDS sheets current and readily accessible. Maintains thorough knowledge of pertinent laws and EPA and OSHA regulations governing property storage and management of hazardous materials, including solvents, flammables, caustics and refrigerants.
- Must be aware of the condition of physical property throughout the community and immediately correct unsafe conditions; e.g., broken gates leading to the pool, broken steps, open holes, broken/burned out exterior lights.
- Maintains accurate records regarding preventive maintenance, service requests (received and completed), expenditures, apartment make-ready status, work-in-progress, etc.
Position of Service Manager (continued) – Page 2
- Schedules and performs minor and routine maintenance on all appropriate equipment on a regular basis. Inspects and maintains all tools in excellent condition.
- Indoctrinates and assists in development of all subordinate maintenance staff. Instills a “safety first” attitude not only with maintenance technicians but with all staff.
- Instructs staff on proper use and guidelines for wearing safety items.
- Diagnoses and performs minor or routine maintenance or repair involving the following on a daily basis.
- Electrical and plumbing (including water lines).
- A/C and heating systems.
- Appliances (when applicable).
- Water irrigation systems.
- Stairs, gates, fences, patios, railings.
- Tile, carpet, flooring.
- Roofing, gutters, fasteners.
- Interior/exterior lights.
- Fireplaces, ceiling fans.
- Gas fixtures and appliances (where applicable).
- Shutters, doors, cabinets, windows, sliding glass doors.
- Boiler, gas and electric.
- Door locks, P.O. boxes and locks.
- Security systems (where applicable).
- Ceiling leaks.
- Pool areas, tile, hot tub/spa, pool furniture.
- Ensures that all make-ready repairs and services are completed correctly and on schedule.
- Reports all major repairs and requisitions to manager prior to any expenditure of funds.
- Changes locks and makes keys.
- Removes and transfers heavy appliances and equipment from storage area to apartment (or vice versa) as circumstances warrant. Assists in moving abandoned furniture, appliances, etc., to dumpster when necessary.
- Maintains adequate inventory of spare parts and maintenance materials to handle most common repairs and situations.
- Identifies all utility meter cut-offs, apartment and fixture cut-offs, sewer cleanouts and prepares maps indicating same.
- Performs work area clean-up and safety related duties.
- Ensures that storage areas remain locked when not in use.
- Assists in keeping grounds neat and free of litter. Rakes, sweeps, shovels as circumstances warrant.
- Performs any additional duties assigned by community manager or regional manager.
Position requires at least 3 years experience in property maintenance or equivalent field.
HVAC Certification required.
Required to wear back support belt, wear goggles when working with specific equipment, wear masks and gloves and other safety equipment as tasks dictate.
Position of Service Manager (continued) – Page 3
Minimum of 40 hours per week. Weekends as circumstances warrant; on-call on a rotating basis and for emergencies.
An employee in this position must be knowledgeable and skilled in the safe use and maintenance of the following tools:
Hand Tools Various wrenches, hammer, grips, saws, sledgehammer, snips, posthole diggers, etc.
Power Tools Wrenches, grinders, sanders, drills, saws, etc.
User-Moved Aids Wheelbarrows, dollies, hand trucks, buckets, hoists, jacks, step ladders, full ladders, double ladders.
Mechanical Equip. Motors, pumps, compressors, blowers, electric and hand power augers, etc.
Measuring Devices Calipers, voltmeters, ohmmeters, testing meters, PH tests, gauges, etc.
- Certified Apartment Maintenance Technician (CAMT) desired
- Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to be on feet.
- Have constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to perform the following physical activities:
|Bend/Stoop/Squat||Perform routine maintenance/repairs, pick up tools and needed equipment|
|Climb Stairs||Service requests, make-ready needs for 2nd and 3rd floor apartments|
|Push or Pull||Move equipment, appliances, open and close doors, etc.|
|Reach Above Shoulder
|Perform routine maintenance/repairs, stock and remove equipment, parts, etc.
Perform routine maintenance/repairs
Handle tools and equipment, perform routine maintenance/repairs
Handle tools and equipment, perform routine maintenance/repairs
Inventory maintenance, requisition requests, required maintenance reports.
Position of Service Manager (continued) – Page 4
- Lifting/Carrying (supplies, replacement parts, ladders, etc.):
|Over 150 lbs.||Rare need (less than 1% of the time)|
|50 lbs. – 150 lbs.||Occasional need (1% to 33% of the time)|
|25 lbs. – 75 lbs.
|Frequent need (33% to 66% of the time)|
|1 – 25 lbs.||Constant need (66% to 100% of the time)
NOTE: Lifting and carrying of weights exceeding 50 lbs. is to be accomplished with assistance from one or more persons. Examples of heaviest items lifted include washer/dryers, refrigerators, A/C units, abandoned sofas, etc.
- Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to document maintenance and complete forms, review manuals and operating instructions, read cautionary labels, respond to written instruction from staff and residents. Constant need to see small detail when performing routine maintenance duties.
- Frequent need (33% to 60% of the time) to see things clearly beyond arm’s reach (oversee assistants, observe problems throughout the property).
- Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to communicate with assistants, resident staff, vendors and residents. Must use listening skills to diagnose needed repairs, etc.
- Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to verbally communicate with assistants, resident staff, vendors and residents.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced and customer service-oriented environment.
- Performs duties under pressure and meets deadlines in a timely manner.
- Works as part of a team, as well as completes assignments independently.
- Takes instructions from supervisors.
- Exercises problem-solving skills.
- Interacts with co-workers, supervisors, guests and the public in a professional and pleasant manner.
- Frequent need (33% to 66% of the time) to utilize personal transportation to pick up replacement parts and supplies from vendors. Rotation “on call” status may occasionally require expedient travel to assigned property at moments notice. Pick up and deliveries to the corporate office.
- Must have valid driver’s license and automobile insurance coverage.
Position of Service Manager (continued) – Page 5
- Indoors (66% to 100% of the time). Frequently outdoors (33% to 66% of the time), all conditions, often for extended periods.
- Occasional exposure (1% to 33% of time) to paint fumes, solvents, adhesives, etc. Example: Apartments during/after make-ready.
- Frequent need (33% to 66% of the time) to work in awkward and confining positions.
- Must be able to apply principles of logical thinking to define problems, collect pertinent data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions and initiate appropriate course of action. Must effectively convey ideas, images and goals to a diverse group of personalities.
- Learns and complies with all company safety rules.
- Must use appropriate safety equipment at all times.
- Immediately reports all unsafe conditions to supervisors.
- Must be familiar with all safety features or equipment, machinery, or materials encompassed by job duties.
- Must check with supervisor if there is a question as to the safe procedure to be used for any job function.
- Employees must fulfill the performance standards of this position and comply with policies, rules and procedures of the company, including those set out in the Employee Handbook, or otherwise communicated (verbally or in writing) to employees.
- This job description is intended to describe the general nature and work responsibilities of the position. This job description and the duties of this position are subject to change, modification and addition as deemed necessary by the company. Employees are required to comply with supervisory instructions and perform other job duties, responsibilities and assignments requested by supervisors, managers or other company officials.
- This job description does not constitute an employment contract between the company and any employee.
- The job responsibilities of this position may include cross-training in other functions or positions to ensure satisfactory operation of the department or work area.
For a full job description or additional questions regarding these openings, please contact Human Resources.