Reports To: Maintenance Superintendent
The purpose of this job description is to communicate the responsibilities and duties associated with the position of MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN. While the following information should be considered a comprehensive description of this position, it should also be noted that some responsibilities and duties may not be specifically addressed.
Every person is expected to perform any reasonable task or request that is consistent with fulfilling company objectives.
It is imperative that you review these duties, skills and physical requirements closely and that you understand that by signing the Job Description Acknowledgement, you are verifying that you can perform all the duties, have the skills and possess the physical abilities that are necessary to perform the job as described.
The MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN is to assist the maintenance superintendent in maintaining the physical integrity of the community. This involves ensuring a safe, secure and comfortable living environment for residents, visitors and staff. The MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN will carry out assigned duties in a safe manner and other duties as requested by the senior maintenance technician. In the absence of the maintenance superintendent, the MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN will assume all maintenance responsibilities.
Non-Exempt (eligible for overtime)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Conducts all business in accordance with company policies and procedures, state and federal laws; e.g., OSHA, ADA, Fair Housing, etc.
- Must be knowledgeable of pertinent laws and EPA and OSHA regulations governing proper storage and management of hazardous materials, including solvents, flammables, caustics and freon.
- Must be aware of the condition of apartment property throughout the community and immediately initiates action to correct unsafe conditions; e.g., broken gates leading to the pool, broken steps, open holes, broken/burned out exterior lights.
- Schedules and performs routine preventive maintenance on all appropriate equipment as directed by senior maintenance technician and manager. Inspects and maintains all tools in excellent condition.
- Must be aware of all utility meter cut-offs, apartment and fixture cut-offs, sewer cleanouts.
- Performs work area clean-up and safety related duties.
- Ensures that storage areas remain locked when not in use.
- Diagnoses and performs minor or routine maintenance or repair, as directed, involving the following on a daily basis:
- Electrical and plumbing (including water lines).
- A/C and heating systems.
- Appliances (when applicable).
- Water irrigation systems.
- Stairs, gates, fences, patios, railings.
- Tile, carpet, flooring.
- Roofing, gutters, fasteners.
- Interior/exterior lights.
- Fireplaces, ceiling fans.
- Gas fixtures and appliances (where applicable).
- Shutters, doors, cabinets, windows, sliding glass doors.
- Boiler, gas and electric.
- Door locks, P.O. boxes and locks.
- Security systems (where applicable).
- Ceiling leaks.
- Pool areas, tile, hot tub/spa, pool furniture.
- Inspects and helps coordinate all needed make-ready repairs and services. Assists make-ready staff as required to meet deadlines.
- Reports all major repairs and need requisitions to senior maintenance technician and manager prior to any expenditure of funds.
- Changes locks and make keys.
- Removes and transfers heavy appliances and equipment from storage area to apartment (or vice versa) as circumstances warrant. Assists in moving abandoned furniture, appliances, etc., to dumpster when necessary.
- Must be knowledgeable of inventory levels of spare parts and supplies and inform senior maintenance technician of shortages.
- Assists in keeping grounds neat and free of litter. Rakes, sweeps, shovels as circumstances warrant.
- Performs any additional duties assigned by senior maintenance technician and manager.
Position requires at least 1 year experience in apartment property maintenance.
Required to wear back support belt, wear goggles when working with specific equipment, wear masks and gloves and other safety equipment as tasks dictate.
Minimum of 40 hours per week. Weekends as circumstances warrant; on-call on a rotating basis and for emergencies.
An employee in this position must be knowledgeable and skilled in the safe use and maintenance of the following tools:
Hand Tools Various wrenches, hammer, grips, saws, sledgehammer, snips, posthole diggers, etc.
Power Tools Wrenches, grinders, sanders, drills, saws, etc.
User-Moved Aids Wheelbarrows, dollies, hand trucks, buckets, hoists, jacks, step ladders, full ladders, double ladders.
Mechanical Equip. Motors, pumps, compressors, blowers, electric and hand power augers, etc.
Measuring Devices Calipers, voltmeters, ohmmeters, testing meters, PH tests, gauges, etc.
- Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to be on feet.
- Have constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to perform the following physical activities:
|Bend/Stoop/Squat||Perform routine maintenance/repairs, pick up tools and needed equipment|
|Climb Stairs||Service requests, make-ready needs for 2nd and 3rd floor apartments|
|Push or Pull||Move equipment, appliances, open and close doors, etc.|
|Reach Above Shoulder
|Perform routine maintenance/repairs, stock and remove equipment, parts, etc.
Perform routine maintenance/repairs
Handle tools and equipment, perform routine maintenance/repairs
Handle tools and equipment, perform routine maintenance/repairs
Inventory maintenance, requisition requests, required maintenance reports.
- Lifting/Carrying (supplies, replacement parts, ladders, etc.):
|Over 150 lbs.||Rare need (less than 1% of the time)|
|75 lbs. – 150 lbs.||Occasional need (1% to 33% of the time)|
|25 lbs. – 75 lbs.||Frequent need (33% to 66% of the time)|
|1 – 25 lbs.||Constant need (66% to 100% of the time)
NOTE: Lifting and carrying of weights exceeding 50 lbs. is to be accomplished with assistance from one or more persons. Examples of heaviest items lifted include washer/dryers, refrigerators, A/C units, abandoned sofas, etc.
- Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to document maintenance and complete forms, review manuals and operating instructions, read cautionary labels, respond to written instruction from staff and residents. Constant need to see small detail when performing routine maintenance duties.
- Frequent need (33% to 60% of the time) to see things clearly beyond arm’s reach (oversee assistants, observe problems throughout the property).
- Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to communicate with assistants, resident staff, vendors and residents. Must use listening skills to diagnose needed repairs, etc.
- Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to verbally communicate with assistants, resident staff, vendors and residents.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced and customer service-oriented environment.
- Performs duties under pressure and meets deadlines in a timely manner.
- Works as part of a team, as well as completes assignments independently.
- Takes instructions from supervisors.
- Exercises problem-solving skills.
- Interacts with co-workers, supervisors, guests and the public in a professional and pleasant manner.
- Frequent need (33% to 66% of the time) to utilize personal transportation to pick up replacement parts and supplies from vendors. Rotation “on call” status may occasionally require expedient travel to assigned property at moments notice. Pick up and deliveries to the corporate office.
- Must have valid driver’s license and automobile insurance coverage.
- Indoors (66% to 100% of the time). Frequently outdoors (33% to 66% of the time), all conditions, often for extended periods.
- Occasional exposure (1% to 33% of time) to paint fumes, solvents, adhesives, etc. Example: Apartments during/after make-ready.
- Frequent need (33% to 66% of the time) to work in awkward and confining positions.
- Must be able to apply principles of logical thinking to a variety of practical situations and accurately follow standardized procedures that may occasionally involve minor deviations. Needs ability to think rationally beyond a specific set of instructions.
- Learns and complies with all company safety rules.
- Uses appropriate safety equipment at all times.
- Immediately reports all unsafe conditions to supervisors.
- Must be familiar with all safety features or equipment, machinery, or materials encompassed by job duties.
- Must check with supervisor if there is a question as to the safe procedure to be used for any job function.
- Employees must fulfill the performance standards of this position and comply with policies, rules and procedures of the company, including those set out in the Employee Handbook, or otherwise communicated (verbally or in writing) to employees.
- This job description is intended to describe the general nature and work responsibilities of the position. This job description and the duties of this position are subject to change, modification and addition as deemed necessary by the company. Employees are required to comply with supervisory instructions and perform other job duties, responsibilities and assignments requested by supervisors, managers or other company officials.
- This job description does not constitute an employment contract between the company and any employee.
- The job responsibilities of this position may include cross-training in other functions or positions to ensure satisfactory operation of the department or work area.
If you would like to be considered for this opportunity your employment must be in good standing and you must be in a current Maintenance position at another community for a minimum of 2 to 4 years. Candidates must forward a summary of qualifications along with an updated resume. Please include any special skills, certifications, designations or licenses that make you a good candidate for this opportunity. This position reports to the Community Manager.
For a full job description or additional questions regarding these openings, please contact Human Resources.